[Orion] Controlling the Orion from a Computer

Christoph Rheker christor at microsoft.com
Sun Jan 30 15:18:44 EST 2005

Hello,

I want to learn more abt how to control the Orion from my PC, also I have a few
programs that I want to "teach" how to talk to it. Like VE3SUN's Beacon Observer
for example.

I have connected my PC using a 1:1 serial cable and using the settings as described
in the programers ref guide on the rfsquared web site. (57.6k, 8/N/1, Hardware flow control)

Now when sending for example a command to change the freq (like *AF14.250<cr>) or mode,
I would expect the Orion to react. But it does nothing. Accoring to the guide, it should send back
a "Z!" if it receives an invalid or incomplete command. That is also not happening.

It seems obvious, I am having a communication problem somewhere... however the exact same
cable works fine with my packet radio modem.

Interesting enough, the exact same PC and cable work fine when trying to update the firmware
on the Orion, I just tried it. So the PC and the Orion DO talk to each other.. at least sometimes...

I can't find, what I am missing.

Do I need to enable Computer control on the Orion before it's going to accept commands?
Or anything else that I might have forgotten?

Any hints and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks and 73 from MUNICH,
Chris, DL4YAO