[Orion] Orion SWR readout

Martin AA6E msembx-aa6e at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 13 22:47:52 EST 2005

The power jitter is a known problem. (To some of us users - I don't
know what Ten-Tec knows!)  It's mostly (entirely?) a measurement
problem in the Orion.  See info & videos at
http://www.aa6e.net/aa6e/orion_pwr.html .  The effect is larger at some
power levels than at others.

The Orion VSWR "meter" has jitter, too, possibly related to the first
item.  It's useful to know if you're in the ballpark, but you need an
external meter if you want a critical measurement.

There are certainly some rough edges on this rig's controller.  Maybe v
2.0 will be a big step forward -- maybe.  Personally, I would have
preferred a bulletproof firmware controller. Still, the "challenge" is
bearable.

I am sure I wouldn't feel that way if the rig went off into the blue as
often as it seems to for some folks.

73, Martin AA6E