[Orion] Orion no Tx, no main Rx

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Tue Aug 29 15:08:37 EDT 2006

It's always a good idea to assume that there will be RF problems in any
transceiver installation that involves an amplifier and set up the wiring
accordingly.  Even my TS-870 had problems with RF getting into the amp
keying line which required a ferrite filter to fix, so now I automatically
install filters on all cables entering and leaving the radio that might be
magnets for RF problems.

Of course good grounding is essential.  I piece of 3/4" copper water pipe
under or behind the operating desk, with braid from the transceiver,
amplifier, low-pass filter, station computer, etc. that goes to a ground rod
and to the AC ground (via at least a #6 conductor per coded requirements)
goes a long way toward reducing RF problems as well as AC hum that gets in
on audio circuits.

Ron N6AHA