[OZ-CONTEST] CQWW CW VK8GM(OZ1AA) SOAB HP

Thomas Andersen thomas at oz1aa.com
Sat Dec 3 21:13:00 PST 2011

Hej alle,

Super sjovt at laese alle beretningerne fra contesten. CQWW CW er og
bliver den stoerste af dem alle :-)

Der var fuld droen paa de hoeje baand her Down Under. Desvaerre havde
jeg ingen antenner paa de lave baand, saa det kneb lidt med
multiplierne. Ellers kunne det vaere blevet en fin score.

Hoerte paa et tidspunkt OZ5E kalde CQ paa 15 med signalstyrke 55.
Sendte en SMS til Alex og spurgte om de ikke kunne dreje antennen mod
VK. Jeg fik svar tilbage at de netop havde et TV hold paa besoeg. Det
er nok det indlaeg som kan ses paa
http://www.tv2oj.dk/arkiv/2011/11/27?video_id=23786&autoplay=1. Jeg
fandt ogsaa foelgende artikel paa Facebook:
http://dinby.dk/hoerning/hele-kloden-rundt-paa-48-timer?minby=hoerning.
Udover slaa rekorder paa stribe maa man sige at de ogsaa goer noget
for at udbrede amatoer/contest budskabet i Stjaer. Godt gaaet drenge!

Jeg har selv uploaded et par billeder fra contesten paa http://flickr.com/oz1aa

Mange tak til OZ5E (x3), OZ4O, OZ1JTE, OZ4FF, OZ4UN, OZ3SM, 5Q2T, OV3X
og OU2O for QSO'erne. Altid en stor fornoejelse at blive kaldt
hjemmefra.

73 fra Alice Springs,

Thomas OZ1AA

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VK8GM
Operator(s): OZ1AA
Station: VK8GM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Alice Springs
Operating Time (hrs): 39

  160:
   80:
   40:   58    14       18
   20:  398    26       73
   15: 1141    29       80
   10: 1329    28       75
------------------------------

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

First of all a big thanks to Greg VK8GM for the use of the station and for
fantastic hospitality. We had originally planned a M/S as VK8AR from Alice
Springs Amateur Radio Club, but as the other CW operator in town cancelled the
plan was changed to a SOAB effort from Greg's place in the last minute.

I arrived at the station 30 minutes before the start, installed N1MM logger,
plugged in my CW keyer cable, and started CQing on 15. I had only made a few
QSOs from Australia before the contest, so I had very little idea of what to
expect in terms of propagation. I soon figured out that if I just imagined that
Europe was US and the US was Japan, then openings and beam headings would
roughly correspond to what I'm used to :-)

The high bands were amazing from down here, and I spent all day running US and
EU like crazy - some of the most fun I can ever remember having in CQWW. I
didn't have any resonant antennas on the low bands, so missed a bunch of
multipliers there.

Equipment:
Yeasu FT-920
IC2-KL @ 400 W
8 el. log periodoc @ 12 m

A few pictures at http://flickr.com/oz1aa

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs. I wonder where I will be for next year's
contest. Probably somewhere in South America.

73

Tom OZ1AA

http://www.cyclingtheglobe.com