[RFI] Electrical Noise RFI

Pete Smith Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 15:42:14 +0000

At 09:57 PM 1/22/00 -0800, Dana Roode wrote:
>Questions:
>
>*) Is it possible the outlet on 3527 is causing noise on 3500 and 3800
>as well?

This may not be one of those TCI wireless modem jacks at all.  I had a
situation in a previous house where ordinary light switches in neighbors'
houses - the 72 cent silent variety - would radiate as you describe while
they were switched off(!).  I had 2 distinct peaks that sounded like what
you have -- one at 3520+/- and the other at 3765.  Don't be surprised if
it's something like this -- fortunately you can sniff it really well with a
portable radio.

>*) Has anyone had any experience with noisey traffic signals?  When I
>mobile around the city here in Irvine, every intersection is noisey on
>HF as I drive through.  Should I call the City?  Will they care?

Recently, the state highway people installed temporary lights at a road
project near here.  When the light was Red I would get a loud hissing noise
in the FM receiver in the car.  There was a sensor unit of some sort below
the lights themselves, and I surmised that it might be using radio at some
frequency to sense the presence of cars waiting for the light.

>Any input welcome!  I can record the noise and put it up on the Web if
>thats helpful.

W1RFI@arrl.org is collecting .WAV files of identified interference types.
He may have already gotten what you're hearing.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

Don't forget to update your entry on the World Contest Station Database, at
http://206.102.70.3/search.htm

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html