[RFI] What next?

David C. Cleveland David C. Cleveland" <ki0nd@sprynet.com
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 14:18:15 -0700

Well I could really use some reassurance from the list.  The facts are this.
I moved into a house in the city of Denver in May of last year.  My house is
on a small lot with my neighbors house no more than 10 feet from mine.  I
have a GAP Titan DX attached to the garage which is about 20 feet from the
house and by extension hers. The antenna is entirely on my property. I kept
the antenna unhooked for 2 weeks to determine if there would be any undue
reaction from the neighborhood, there was none.  I hooked up the antenna and
operated at full barefoot power on my FT-920 (about 90watts cw and 50 watts
ssb).  I have no problems until the 10 meter contest when the nextdoor
neighbor comes over to complain that I'm getting into her phone, TV, and
computer, and that she had a similar experience when I operated during the
November Sweeps. I immediately stopped operating.  I purchased a Radio Shack
TVI filter (RSU 11437571) and found excellent results on my TV closest to
the antenna (no problems elsewhere in the house).  I did not give one to my
neighbor at that time.  I operated QRP in the NAQP without complaints.
Thinking I had the problem licked, I started operating more frequently, and
at QRP power levels.  I was in a ragchew with a California station (QRP) on
Sunday when my wife took the call that the neighbor was receiving
interference in her phones and that she apparently had some during the NAQP.
I ended the QSO.  Today, in response to that incident, I brought over to her
the letter below as well as the indicated equipment for her to install.  Her
tone was hostile, refused to take the equipment, (though she did take the
letter, FCC and ARRL materials) and stated  "The problem isn't my phone but
your hobby!"

The question is: What next?
Do I go on and operate with a clear conscience?
Cease operation altogether?
Operate only QRP?
How have others of you dealt with neighbors who just don't care?

Please advise, encourage, criticize, or gloat.....

v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v letter sent v v v v v v v v v v v v v
v v v v v v v v v v
							31, January  2000

825 Steele Street
Denver, CO  80206

Dear Karen,
   I’m sorry to hear that you are still having interference problems when I
transmit.  I thought we had the problem licked when I reduced power, but
your experience on Sunday proves otherwise.
I’ve enclosed copies of a few items that will help you understand what is
going on, and why the interference is happening to you.  Three of the
handouts (Appendix B, Appendix C, and the FCC Public notice ) are copies of
publications directly from the FCC, the fourth is a self-help guide for the
consumer published jointly by the ARRL (an organization representing amateur
radio operators), and the Consumer Electronics Manufacturers Association
(CEMA).  Please read them as they provide valuable guidance.
I’ve also enclosed for you 3 other items.  The first is a High Pass Filter
for your TV (Radio Shack Item #RSU 11437571), it should block the signals
from my station from getting into your TV and should be placed between the
TV and the cable connection, the instructions will show you what you need to
do.  I’ve also included a male to male coax adapter you will more than
likely need for the installation.   Secondly, I’ve supplied you with a new
telephone (Radio Shack #43-591). This phone has been reported to be better
at rejecting interference than others on the market.  Please try this phone
the next time you encounter interference. If it does not work, I’ll bring
over another phone that I know will reject the interference.  The third item
is a telephone RFI filter (Radio Shack #43-150). Simply connect the filter
to the modular jack on the phone, and the phone line into the filter.  With
the new phone and the filter, you should be able to have your normal phone
conversations while I’m on the air.
Since the above equipment has cost me nearly $70, I am considering this a
long-term loan.  If you were to ever leave the house, I’d appreciate their
return so that any new owner could use them.  Of course if you’d like to
purchase them, I’d be more than happy to provide receipts.
As for your computer, I don’t know what is happening so I don’t know how it
can be cured.  If the problem is just audio, there are some ferrite cores
that can be attached to the speaker wires that should fix the problem, if
video is the problem, the same ferrite cores might be placed on the cable to
the monitor.
Once again, I’m sorry about the problems that you are having, and rest
assured that my station is operating within my licensed parameters, and I
will work with you to the limit of my responsibilities and prudent practice
to help you solve the problems on your end.  As we say in amateur radio, 73
(best regards),

Sincerely,

David C. Cleveland

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ end of letter^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
^ ^ ^

David C. Cleveland
Amateur Radio Callsign,  KIØND
Denver, CO  80206