[RFI] FW: TV set RFI questions

Hare, Ed, W1RFI Hare, Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:40:38 -0400

> ARRL HQ used to maintain a list of engineering contacts at the various
> companies who were more knowledgeable than the 800-number
> crowd.  You might try an e-mail to W1RFI@arrl.org.

That list was actually maintained for a brief time by the Electronic
Industries Association. It has long-since been discontinued by EIA (now the
Consumer Electronics Association).

In 1994, ARRL undertook contacting automobile manufacturers, to ask them
what their policies were wrt RFI, if they had any service bulletins about
RFI for their vehicles and who people should contact if they had problems
that could not be resolved at their dealer.  About 25% of the companies
responded to the first letter, after 3 or 4 inquiries, the last directed
throught their Public Media Relations Departments, we finally got the last
of the companies to at least answer the questions. And this from an industry
that has a very active RFI standards committee through the Society of
Automotive Engineers.  Unfortunately, NONE of the companies were willing to
have their engineering-level contacts made public.  I have a few, my fellows
on the SAE EMC committee, but they generally are not able to get involved
with indidual problems.

Considering the amount of staff work and calandar time it took to get
answers out of a few dozen automobile manufacturers, I don't know if trying
a similar approach with consumer manufacturers would get the desired
results.  It could be that by the time some of the information was finally
obtained, the first info would be obsolete.  There are probably several
thousand consumer electronics brand names. Nonetheless, I think it is worth
pursuing.  One of the proposals I am going to make for the ARRL RFI Task
Group is that ARRL contact manufacturers, with the intent of writing an
article for QST. This time, I think I will *start* with the media-public
relations folks instead of the customer-service managers.  No promises here,
folks, in some cases, the League won't be any more successful than you in
actually getting answers to letters, but any info at all will be better than
the almost none that exists now.  As usual, once the info is gathered and
published, I will make it available on the ARRL public web pages.

The automotive info I referenced is available at:

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/rficar.html

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Laboratory Supervisor