[RFI] question regarding Carrier furnace

Eric Gustafson Eric Gustafson <n7cl@mmsi.com>
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 08:04:45 -0700

Hi Ed,

Well, I admit that I was considering emissions primarily.  But
what I was talking about was getting an _indication_ of
_potenntial_ problems.

One of the hats I wear here at work is testing for and
engineering mitigation of conducted and radiated emissions and
susceptability for our products (which combine radios and
embeddeed microprocessors).  I find generally that steps taken to
mitigate emissions also (usually) help improve susceptability
performance.  So if a device has a noise generating source in it
(like a microcontroller) and is observably quiet outside its own
cabinet, it is probable that the device will be less susceptable
to EMI than a similar device which is noisy.

Of course you can't take a 3V/Meter emitter down to the store and
blast the crap out of their merchandise.  So your "purchase on
contingency" plan is obviously the right way to approach the
problem.  My proposal was aimed at reducing the number of
instances of the "in home" testing that might need to be
performed.

73, Eric  N7CL

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/rfi