[RFI] CNN.com - Internet access via power lines reborn in Europe - August 28, 2001

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Sat, 01 Sep 2001 22:48:31 -0500

on 8/31/01 2:34 PM, WA2BPE at wa2bpe@exotrope.net wrote:

> The real answers to broadband are satellite and fiber optics to the home (or
> at least to the curb).

Well, satellites have horrible latency issues and propagation delays.  Makes
for game problems, steaming video conferencing, etc.  At least 250
milliseconds of delay.  And since your internet feed is being broadcast from
geosynchronous orbit, half the entire world could pick up your internet data
if they wanted too.

So I don't find satellite to be any less "private" than power line or cable
modems.  And anyhow, since all our communication goes over an internet
backbone, nothing is really "private."

I do agree - fiber to the home is the best solution.

My problem with the power line issue is that of the radiation and
interference for sure.

73,

Jon
NA9D