[RFI] CNN.com - Internet access via power lines reborn in Europe - August 28, 2001

Cortland Richmond ka5s@earthlink.net
Mon, 03 Sep 2001 01:27:17 -0400

This has been going on in Germany for months. YEars, actually. It is big
news there. I alerted the ARRL to the "Nein zu PLC" efforts German hams
and SW broadcasters are taking and found a few Web pages to look at.
However, I am at present away form home and don't have the URL's with e.
Searching on "Nein zu PLC" will get a good hook into this area.  I also
alerted one of the professional EMC magazines to this, and on top of
that, a European ham spoke at length on the problem at the ham radio
luncheon of the just-finished IEEE EMC Symposium in Montreal.

One point to note is the the German government had to RAISE the
permitted level of interference to make deployment of this technology
possible, and the now infamous NB30 conflicts with several other
European NOrms regarding radio interference. This has not pleased
Germany's European partners, and Germany may have to back off on NB30 as
it conflicts with European-wide standards Germany has agreed to enforce.

Cortland