[RFI] Ford 2002, 4.6L, V8, Coil on Plug, RFI

Paul J. Pagano wa4aa@netscape.net
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 08:04:23 -0400

I've read "e-ham" postings on Ford's Coil on Plug Technology with much
interest. I have just completed a mobile HF installation in a 2002
Mountaineer. It has the 4.6 L, V-8 engine in it and it delivers a solid S-9
ignition noise on whichever band I've hooked up a resonant antenna. This is
the 3rd Ford mobile installation I've completed. The first two were Ford
Explorers, both V-8's, (1996 and 1999) having no noticeable RFI. I've
enjoyed hassle free mobile HF for 6 years. Hopefully I can find some help
from the "county hunter" hams.

I ordered 16, snap-on, split, ferrite beads from Amidon. I placed one around
each, of two wires, located above each spark plug. It did not help at all.
Have any of you received confirmation from other Ford Motor owners,(same
engine and year) that this solved their RFI problems, specifically ignition
noise?

Ground strapping everything is my next step! I'm not sure how to go about
grounding all the side panels and doors. The vehicle is leased and I can't
drill any visible holes. Can anyone reference an established procedure for
this strapping process?

I am sharing this message with all members of the Forum; as I'm interested
in hearing from any 2002 Ford owners who've had this problem and have
successfully resolved their RFI issues. Thanks in advance for your useful
comments. Please e-mail any helpful recommendations to me at: wa4aa@arrl.net
Thanks again and again....Paul

Paul J. Pagano