[RFI] LED Traffic Light RFI

David G. Henderson daveh@erie.net
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:19:47 -0400

On 27 Sep 2002 at 15:00, William G. McDowell wrote:

> Has anyone experienced RFI from these new LED traffic lights?   I live about
> 800' from an intersection that has several of them.  A broad band RF
> emission is radiated when the red and green lights are illuminated.  The
> noise stops when yellow (caution) is lit as the lights change.

I think that if you examine the traffic light from close range you
may find that the yellow light is not an LED; but, still an
incandescent blub.

Yellow LED's are not yet approved in many states.

Thus the noise is only being generated when the LED's are in
operation.

73, Dave, N3EOY
mailto:daveh@erie.net

Dave's home: