[RFI] LED Traffic Light RFI

William G. McDowell k4cia@mindspring.com
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 15:00:58 -0400

Has anyone experienced RFI from these new LED traffic lights?   I live about
800' from an intersection that has several of them.  A broad band RF
emission is radiated when the red and green lights are illuminated.  The
noise stops when yellow (caution) is lit as the lights change.  Sounds just
like line noise on the receiver but its coming from the lights.  I've
confirmed this by using a portable SW near the intersection.
Any advice appreciated.  Have called a state traffic light engineer but did
not get a return call yet.

Yet another obstacle to overcome in this quest for semi-quiet bands.

73
Bill, K4CIA
Raleigh NC