[RFI] "Jason Hissong" RFI not street lights

Dave Hachadorian k6ll@juno.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:33:13 +0000

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 20:46:38 -0500 "Jason Hissong"
<jhisson1@columbus.rr.com> writes:
> Also,
>
> This noise is not intermittent.  It is constant, 24 hours a day.  I
> can
> still detect it on 6M.
>
> If it is arcing, can it be constant like this?  A ham friend told me
> that
> the scanner I was using probably would not be the best to track down
> the
> problem.

Whenever I have experienced line noise that is constant for 24/7,
it has turned out to be a lightning arrestor. They develop a carbon
track over the entire length of the arrestor (about 1 foot) and create
a very loud noise over a wide area, about 1 mile radius. Another
characteristic of lightning arrestor failure is that you can hammer
on the pole, and the noise will not change. This source could be far
away from you.

The scanner will help. Just be sure it is on vhf AM, such as on the
aircraft band, around 129 MHz.

I think your best bet will be to get as close as possible to identifying
the source, then call the power company to get assistance from their rfi
locator expert. He will find it, and write a work order for a local
crew to fix it.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ