[RFI] Low Voltage light RFI

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Fri Jul 11 17:12:10 EDT 2003

At 01:24 PM 7/11/03 -0400, KE2N at cs.com wrote:
>I ran into this same problem when I installed some halogen "puck" lights
>in the kitchen. Switching supplies wiped out HF reception.  For the new
>house, I specified the "magnetic transformer" option for the lights and it
>is RFI-quiet.
>
>Imagine: magnetic transformers - what will they think of next!

Funny, I have three sets made by GE - 8 lamps total - that use some sort of
switching black lump, and they are totally RF quiet.  The only problem is
that something -- probably their overtemp sensing -- is unduly fussy, so
the darned things keep shutting themselves off...

Wouldn't something like this be soluble by the same sort of filtration as
other switching power supplies?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 17 June 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm