[RFI] RE: Another "no interference" conclusion. . .

Hare,Ed, W1RFI w1rfi at arrl.org
Wed Jun 11 18:14:35 EDT 2003

To date, DSL has not caused hams any problems, but it stops a 1.1 MHz, though it will soon be going higher.  But twisted-pair telephone wiring is a much poorer antenna than overhead power lines, so the amount of notching that BPL would need would be unworkably high. I know hams who can literally hear a neighbor a mile away turn on a computer power supply.  How do we protect that capability?  How about apartment dwellers who aren't allowed outside antennas? Do we "write off" that aspect of ham radio?

By my calculations, about 70 dB of notching would be necessary to protect against BPL interference in quiet environs with antennas located about 100 feet from a radiating power line, with more needed for the circumstances I described above.

The bottom line, IMHO, is that signals much stronger than the present conducted emissions limits should not intentionally be put onto power lines.

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab
225 Main St
Newington, CT 06111
Tel: 860-594-0318
Internet: w1rfi at arrl.org
Web: http://www.arrl.org/tis

ARRL is the National Association for Amateur Radio.  It is supported by membership dues, individual contributions and the sale of  publications and advertising. For more information about ARRL, go to http://www.arrl.org/news/features/inside-your-league.html. For more information about membership, go to http://www.arrl.org/join.html.  Your contribution can also help support ARRL's ongoing efforts to protect Amateur spectrum. Go to https://www.arrl.org/forms/development/donations/basic/ to learn more about the ways you can support the ARRL programs and activities of most importance to you. You can help ARRL protect Amateur Radio for you and future generations to enjoy.