[RFI] RE: A Serious Threat

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Thu May 15 15:24:54 EDT 2003

As far as I am concerned, this whole movement is a backdoor attempt
to "take over" already allocated radio spectrum via a corruption of
the regulatory process. Make sure you make your voices heard. The
government does all kinds of stupid things when they only hear one
side of the argument. The fiasco with the so-called gasoline
oxygenate MTBE is a good example. The government was presented
with bad scientific data suggesting that adding MTBE to gasoline
would reduce air pollution from automobiles. What these scientists
didn't tell the government was that it also reduced efficiency. As a
result, cars using reformulated gasoline with MTBE have to burn
more fuel to go the same distance so the net release of
pollution is the same as when there is no oxygenate present. MTBE
also dissolves readily into ground water and is poisonous to humans.
Nice hugh! So don't think for a minute that reason and good science
will prevail on its own. This is politics - the squeaky wheel gets the
grease. Vote early and vote often.