[RFI] Another Noise Source

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Oct 8 16:04:41 EDT 2003

At 10:36 PM 9/22/03 +0100, John Gagen wrote:

>This has the symptoms of RFI from high speed internet services offered by
>the cable TV companies. Many cable companies are now using the HF frequency
>bands for subscriber uplinks on this service. I recently had a major problem
>here with Cablevision wiping out the 40 meter amateur radio band.
>
>You will have to do some more tracking of signals but put leakage from cable
>TV internet service on your list of suspects.

Pretty easy to find, if so.  Make a sniffer for a portable SW receiver and
take it out to the box where cable comes into the house.  There should be a
definite peak as you put the sniffer coil close to the box.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated October 3.
2440 stations are listed -- 104 stations were added or updated.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm