[RFI] Getting WiFi Upstairs

EDWARDS, EDDIE J eedwards at oppd.com
Fri Oct 10 09:27:06 EDT 2003

My post yesterday was in a bit of a hurry.  Of course with any leaky
coax system you need amplifiers, and in the case of 2-way comm you'll
need a BDA-Bi-Directional Amp like Tx/Rx makes.  At work we use this in
our nuke plant for dual band operation (VHF-paging & 800Mhz 2-way)
inside the containment bldg (BRT-Big Round Thing) and also the Aux bldg.
In addition to the leaky coax we place antennas periodically along each
cable route.  

Needless to say, it would be a very expensive solution for a household
WiFi system.  The WiFi vendor must make something that'll work, or they
won't sell many WiFi systems once word gets out it doesn't work very

 de ed -K0iL

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Parsons
Leaky feeder will not help very much. The radiation is
very much less than from more or less any sort of
antenna. Also, it is rarely worth using at frequencies
much above a few hundred MHz, as the cable attenuation
is high and multipath effects become very pronounced.
(There are several distinct propagation modes on a
leaky feeder with different velocities of
propagation.) Its main use is to cover long tunnels or
mine roadways where radio signals will not normally
propagate. Whilst Andrews and others make some good
and exceptionally expensive leaky feeders, a cheap
alternative is nasty open braid coax - what in England
is known as 'TV coax'. BICC (Brandrex) also make a
much more flexible 75 Ohm leaky feeder with similar
dimensions and performance as RG213 but much higher

Sorry that doesn't help solve your problem!

73 Roger

(FWIW, which is not a lot, formerly responsible for
leaky feeder system design at British Coal.)


Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
Messenger http://mail.messenger.yahoo.co.uk
RFI mailing list
RFI at contesting.com

More information about the RFI mailing list