[RFI] Ferrite Loops

Ward Silver hwardsil at centurytel.net
Sun Aug 15 11:13:55 EDT 2004

> I bought some ferrite loops to slide over RG/8 type coax. The seller
> does not know of what mix they are made of. I want to help
> eliminate RFI/TVI when transmitting on Hf from my RV. How many
> should I slip on? Is there a site I can go to that would help answer
> this question? I know it would help if I knew what mix they are.
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Rod kc7vqr

One point that was lost in the excellent discussion about determining
ferrite mix is that ferrite beads on the transmitter coax is highly unlikely
to have any effect on received RFI.  (Unless I missed Rod's point, I am
assuming that he is talking about putting beads on the coax to the transmit
antenna in his RV.)

Rod - you need a Low-Pass Filter (the MFJ-704) at your transceiver's output
and a High-Pass Filter (RadioShack 15-579) in the coax at the TV input.
Beads on the outside of your transmitting coax may help keep RF from flowing
on the outside of the cable shield, but they won't help if your TV is
receiving a harmonic of the transmitted signal or if it's just simply
overloaded (most likely).

73, Ward N0AX