[RFI] Core for common-mode choke?

jeff_list at burnshome.org jeff_list at burnshome.org
Mon Dec 13 22:46:34 EST 2004

I am trying to eliminate RFI problems with my TV. Even with all the inputs
disconnected and terminated I still get moderate blanking of the screen when
I key my rig at 100w. Hopefully, adding a common-mode choke to the AC line
will solve the problem. Since I will probably need chokes on several other
lines once I start reconnecting the various cables I want to find the most
cost effective source for the chokes.

Amidon lists FT-240-77 toroids for $9 each. Is there a cheaper source for
these? MFJ-701 RFI Choke Kits are only $15 for four. Are these effective
enough on the AC line?

If I find that I need a choke on the component video cable from my DVD
player what should I use? It may be too big to wrap on an FT-240-77 toroid.

Jeff Burns

AD9T