[RFI] BCB Noise in Ford Expedition

david jordan wa3gin at erols.com
Fri Feb 6 09:21:23 EST 2004

Hi Jim,

I have a Ford 2001 Sport Trac....I found three sources of RFI in the
vehicle.

1. - spark plug wires ( removed all radiation by running spark wires
inside 1" braid that is grounded at the firewall, just above the ignitor)
2. - fuel pump noise ( removed by installation of CorCom  EMI/RFI ac
line filter at the fuel pump harness closest to the fuel tank)
3. - ABS brake sensors (pending...plan to sheild sensor harness)

The RFI from the sources above present themselves as follows:

1. noise occurs when engine is running, idle or in motion
2. noise occurs when the engine is running, can be masked by  ignition
noise. Can be heard when ignition key is turned to start engine but not
cranking)
3. noise occurs only when vehicle is in motion, can be masked by 1 and
2. noise speeds up and slows down with speed of vechicle.

Before remedies were applied for 1 and 2 AM reception was almost
impossible. After resolving 1 and 2 I can now receive (when no in
motion) weak low power AM stations such as those used for parking
information at airports at distances of up to 10 miles.

Have Fun,
dave
wa3gin