[RFI] Local noise environment

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Feb 16 08:56:50 EST 2004

A bunch of responses, that I thought would be worth summarizing briefly.

Nobody thought that this sort of interference *level* (S9+10) is to be
expected.  Several people put the noise on waterfall displays in various
software, and reported (or sent me images of) the resulting analysis.  All
but one detected a 120 hz component in the received noise.

I've done some more observations, including one just now using the
waterfall and spectrogram displays in my DX4WIN PSK31 module, but without
the sound card (i.e., live, not recorded) to eliminate any extraneous hum
or other variables that the card might introduce.  The 120 Hz line is VERY
visible, and I can see harmonics all the way out to at least the 10th
harmonic of 60 Hz (the display only goes down to 100 Hz).  When I
disconnect the antenna, all of this (along with the white noise across the
passband) goes away, so I don't believe any of it is internal to the radio.

Another aspect that I find interesting is that this noise level does not
extend very far up the spectrum.  Given that the antennas differ for each
band, on 80 meters the level is only S5-7, with much higher variability
(spikes to S8), and the highest level to the south.  On 20, the level is
S1.  On all three bands, however, the 120 Hz line remains clearly visible,
and on 80 there is also a pronounced 240 hz line, particularly when the
array is looking south.  It may be only coincidence that I have a 500 kv
line in that direction.

I had a very useful conversation with Mike Martin, K3RFI, who does RFI
elimination for PEPCO and also does private RFI consulting and
training.  If I can summarize his comments properly, he believes that the
noise source is line powered, though not necessarily a power line problem
per se, could be as close as a hundred feet or as far away as 10 miles at
1.8 MHz, and that there could be multiple sources contributing to the
picture as seen by my receiver.  He suggests using an oscilloscope to
spread out the display of the first 120 Hz or so of the signal, to try to
discern a "signature" (Marv Loftness's technique), and then go run down the
various source(s) one by one.  Unfortunately, I don't have a real
oscilloscope, and the Winscope software I have isn't very helpful in doing
this.

Sounds like I'm going to have to engage my power company.  Wish me luck,
and thanks, everyone, for your inputs.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the World HF Contest Station Database
Updated 9 Jan 04
www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm