[RFI] DFing power line noise

Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK) richard at karlquist.com
Mon Jul 19 12:00:47 EDT 2004

First, rotate your beam and determine direction from that.
Second, get a handheld scanner with AM capability and a
whip antenna, and walk the power line.  You'll be able to
hear the bad pole when you get near it.  Check a lot of
different frequencies for best results.  The whip antenna is
best for finding the basic area of the noise.  Then you
can switch to a VHF Yagi and try to pinpoint it if you
want, or let the power company do that.  You just need to
get them within a pole or two and they'll take over.

Rick N6RK