[RFI] GFI Outlets

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sun Jul 25 23:49:06 EDT 2004

I haven't had any GFI's fail, Jim at least none that I have been able
to positively correlate with RFI (I had one fail in the kitchen, but I
am not positive that it was RFI induced). I did, however, have
problems with the GFI in our master bathroom tripping when I
woudl operate 80 and 160 meters with my amplifier. The solution
was to install UL/CSA line rate bypass capacitors across the GFI
outlet. The GFI has not tripped since. This fix also ended the
regular progression of burned out bathroom night lights which
had been putting me in the dog house with my wife :)

You can order the line rate caps from Digi-Key. I used .047uF.

73 de Mike,
.