[RFI] Re: GFI Outlets

Tim Groat tcgroat at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 28 00:12:32 EDT 2004

GFCIs had a (rescinded) immunity standard, NEMA PP1-86
<http://www.nema.org/index_nema.cfm/563/?type=standard&pageid=7D30F99E-C55A-4933-B2CC37A5D63EAF9F&node=608>.
This standard was much different from the IEC conducted immunity standards.
It was a differential-mode test at 10-400MHz, 0.5Vrms, CW, 50 ohms
(compared to common-mode, 0.15-80MHz, 3Vrms carrier, 80% AM at 1kHz, 150
ohms per the IEC "generic" immunity test). The GFCI was tested without
nuisance trip, trip as specified when leakage exists).

With the 10MHz low frequency limit, you can see how the low bands could be
troublesome. But it was better than no standard at all.

73,
--Tim (KR0U)