[RFI] BPL -- copy of letter to st. URC

Tom Cox tomcox at iquest.net
Thu Mar 4 18:41:43 EST 2004

I sent the following e-mail to the Indiana Utility Regulatory
Commission, just as a preemptive strike. The Cinergy news release struck
close enough to home to get me motivated.

++++++++++++++++++++++

I would like to know what role, if any, the IURC has in the entry of
electrical utilities into the broadband Internet access market via
"Broadband over Power Line."

I am concerned that this service is being oversold to the FCC and state
regulatory entities as a way to provide Internet access in rural areas
that are not now served by Cable TV or DSL (telephone) broadband access.

Besides being a serious source of radio interference to public and
private users of the electromagnetic spectrum, I am concerned that
electrical utilities will enter into BPL without sufficient knowledge of
the real costs and profit potential, and suffer significant economic
losses when they disover they are not competitive with cable or DSL.

If such losses occur, will the utilities be allowed to make rate payers
help them recover their investments? Since the majority of existing
electrical customers will not be likely to buy BPL, either because they
already have cable,  DSL, or  another form of Internet access or because
they are simply not interested in Internet access, it does not appear
they should be forced to help the electrical utilities pay for it.

Given my experience of several outages a year, along with some impulses,
sags and surges, I hope my electrical utility, AEP, will concentrate on
improving the quality of power they deliver, and leave Internet access
to others.

However, AEP has invested significantly in Amperion, a company that is
producing BPL distribution hardware for use by the electrical industry.
It is reasonable to expect AEP to want to recover some of this
investment by deploying such equipment, so my concern is not purely
academic. As a ratepayer, as well as a consumer of services that use the
electromagnetic spectrum BPL can be expected to pollute, I am very
interested in how AEP and other Indiana electrical utilities will be
treated by the IURC in this area.

Please reply by e-mail (tomcox at iquest.net) or by US Mail (Thomas D. Cox,
4920 W. Caleb Ct., Muncie, IN 47302) with any questions or comments.

Thank You,
[etc.]