[RFI] BPL -- copy of letter to st. URC

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Fri Mar 5 09:03:36 EST 2004

Tom Cox wrote to his utility company:

>If such losses occur, will the utilities be allowed to make rate payers
>help them recover their investments? Since the majority of existing
>electrical customers will not be likely to buy BPL, either because they
>already have cable,  DSL, or another form of Internet access or because
>they are simply not interested in Internet access, it does not appear
>they should be forced to help the electrical utilities pay for it.

Good argument, Tom. Since this whole BPL thing is money-driven, "follow
the money" is also the best way to undermine it.

We need solid technical backup too, but those aren't the arguments that
will sway investors.

David Sumner is doing the same in his rebuttal letter to the Wall Street
Journal, by pointing out that BPL looks like a bad investment. In the
WSJ, that is what will get their attention.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek