[RFI] Bush and BPL

dj2001 at mn.rr.com dj2001 at mn.rr.com
Sat Mar 27 03:52:41 EST 2004

   only
>they will involve broadband wireless access points and future
>technology.  I  don't believe this is showing up on anyone's radar
>screen yet.

They tried that around here and the company went BR.  The boxes with
the little antennas are still hanging on the light standards.  i
should get a pix and post it just for fun.

I have my doubts the local power company will invest in this
technology, they have enough trouble keeping the lines up, they've
cut maint to the bone according to the line guys I've talked to,
although a contract company has just completed a tree trimming
project in the area keeping tree limbs from bringing the power system
down in storms.  I have very little power line noise here now in fact
this is the quietest it's been in years, knock on wood.  They have in
the past responded well for noise complaints so I give the power
company credit for that.  They have a line truck and operator which
has the all the noise detecting equipment and they do work with the
customer very well.  Maybe they would be the same with BPL although
looking for rf noise I would think would be quite different from a
noisy insulator.

We already have DSL and cable.  The cable is 44.95 per month which
I'm a subscriber, it's very reliable.  This price has remained the
same now for a few years.  DSL is available but I think it would be a
little more money for a lot slower performance.  I think cable modems
rule here in the city.  Out state is another matter where I think
most are using dialup.  Perhaps this is where BPL might have a
chance, in rual areas, but even there it would be a risky investment
for a power company that must show cause to the state regulatory for
even a little rate increase at least around here, in my opinion.  The
local power company stock has been struggling.

I'm sure I am missing a simple answer, but why cant BPL be in the Ghz
range, say 15 Ghz or even 1 Ghz, why must it be in the Hf region?

I keep dreaming some clever ham operator will put on their thinking
cap and find a technical solution to this BPL problem of potential
interference to other services.

73
Dale