[RFI] NPR BPL Story

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed May 26 15:27:01 EDT 2004

Just listened to the story -- what fascinated me was the relatively low
component of drum-beating for BPL, and the strong emphasis on protection of
licensed services.  Even Michael Powell confined himself to defending the
need for the FCC to do its own technical studies because, he said, relying
on the parties (to a proceeding) for technical data leads to information
that is doctored (my word, not his) "to protect their commercial
interests."  That's surely not a charge that can be leveled against NTIAA,
ARINC or even (except by a real stretch) the ARRL.

We also had plenty of company in the story -- the Air Force, airline
pilots, FM stations, as well as amateurs, all were portrayed as potentially
at risk of destructive interference from devices that fail to meet the
requirements of Part 15.  All in all, a good outing for the anti-BPL side,
I'd say.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on April 26, 2004