[RFI] 160 Meter Interference

Ford Peterson ford at cmgate.com
Tue Oct 5 16:23:00 EDT 2004

Wow!  Now that is one weird noise.  Never heard one like it before.  Are you sure it's not the radio?  Try another radio.  How wide is the bandwidth?  What do you hear on AM.  How about FM?  It almost sounds like my Autek VA1 hi hi.

Whatever it is, the changes in center frequency indicates that it is free-running and not a fixed oscillator.  I suspect it is possible for a tuned circuit inside the radio to be causing the noise.  I hear absolutely NO atmospherics at all.  And from the level of quieting, it is very close.  Have you got a rig in a car or a portable radio?  I would jump in the car and look for the area of greatest intensity.  A ferrite loopstick antenna would work pretty well on those lower frequencies.  You should be able to triangulate the noise using the loopstick from the vehicle.

Good luck.  And report back when you find it.  I've never heard anything like it.  Based on the frequency repetition (90KHz) my guess is that you will find it to be a switching power supply.

Ford-N0FP
ford at cmgate.com