[RFI] Re: Whirlpool Duet Washing Machine RFI update

Cortland Richmond ka5s at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 12 12:48:09 EST 2005

They may be correct. Let's hope so!

The problem with shielding and beads is that it's a bad idea to put more
conductors and vibrating parts into machinery where it might come loose and
fall onto hazardous voltages, or into moving parts, or reduce clearance to
an unsafe distance. Then there is the issue that for shielding to *work*,
it must carry signals that used to get by it to somewhere where they do not
radiate, or not as much. It should for best results pretty well surround
wherever signals come from, and this will require filters in every wire
that has to pass through it. Ferrites are convenient, but at HF, especially
low HF, not very good filters.

Given these difficulties, if I worked on a washer like this, I'd work on
the board making the noise.  It's easier, and safer.

Cortland