[RFI] Maytag Noise Generators

knesbitt knesbitt at nucleus.com
Sat Jul 23 00:17:15 EDT 2005

Some time ago I believe there was a discussion regarding the newer Maytag
and Whirlpool washing machines generating high levels of RFI. Well guess
what, several weeks ago my immediate neighbor installed a new Maytag Neptune
TL washer which for the most part puts me right off the air when its
operating. The thing puts out S9+ hash across 20m with a spike of noise
every 50 khz which sounds like a diesel engine at full bore. Is there a fix
for this stuff? What is the law regarding radiation levels from such
devices? Surely this can not be legal. I have sent a email to Maytag
soliciting for assistance however it would be good to know if there is a fix
based on prior incidents that I might refer to should they attempt to wash
their hands of the problem.
Appreciate any and all comments!

Kirb Nesbitt,  VE6IV