[RFI] Direct DFing of arcing hardware (was PG&E IR line faultdetection advertisements)

Kevin J. Rowett krowett at rowett.org
Sun Mar 20 16:09:04 EST 2005

Sparking noise is causes by the line voltage rising to the point where it
reaches the breakdown point across a leakage path.  Mike describes
in his posting, all the places that leakage can occur.

This breakdown leads to much higher current flow.  The rise time of this
current wave can be very fast - in the 10-100 ns range.  Once the current
flows, it takes a less voltage to stop the flow.  So the currnt wave isn't
a symetrical square wave.  Still, due to the rise time, this wave has
frequency components well into the UHF range.

However, as the frequency rises, the strength goes way down, and the distance
over which it can be heard.  Above 300MHz, you've got to be within 20 feet
of the noise to hear it in a 5kHz BW, on most receivers available today.

This is why hunting with higher and higher frequencies helps localize the
source.

Marv's recent QST article shows an excellent way to use a TV signal to
find the type of noise.

Note:sparking noise is the starting, and stopping of current flow, due to
breakdown of a leakage path.  Cornoa noise is a different mechanism.

KR