[RFI] Low voltage lighting solid state "transformers"

Kelly Johnson n6kj.kelly at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 18:12:19 EST 2006

The point is that it is NOT illegal to sell a device that meets the
emission standards.  It is only illegal to operate it in a way that
causes interference.  There's a big difference.  The burden is on the
USER to resolve the issue, not the manufacturer.  The FCC won't fine
the seller for the device, but could fine the user of the device.  In
my case, since I am the one that owned the device and it only
interfered with me then the FCC won't do anything to make the
manufacturer fix it.  If the device were owned by my neighbor, the FCC
could make the user stop using the device but they won't tell the
manufacturer to stop selling it since it meets the emission standards.
 Likewise, TV manufacturers are not required to fix TVI problems.  The
user gets the shaft.  That's the biggest problem with Part 15 rules:
the manufacturers have no responsibility to fix or replace equipment
unless is it violates emission standards.  That means that the typical
ham neighbor gets the shaft.  What is my neighbor supposed to do when
his TV picks up TVI from my LEGALLY OPERATING station?  Call the TV
manufacturer?  Yeah, right.  Name one television manufacturer that has
ever replaced or fixed a device that was experiencing TVI?