[RFI] Humming "Telephone" Poles

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 23 19:10:14 EST 2006

I think you are hearing the wires vibrating in a gentle breeze, somewhat
like a violin string.  I have noticed the same thing with telephone and
electric power poles too.  But I also notice it with my 135' dipole antenna
which is supported at its mid point at the 119' level on my tower, with
about 450' of Philystran cable attached to each end and running to 25'
wooden poles in each direction, located at the property boundaries.  The
Philystran is stretched tightly enough to pull out nearly all the sag (about
200 lbs tension on the cable), leaving the ends only about 20' lower than
the mid point.  I notice that it sometimes sings loudly when there is no
perceptible wind, especially under cool clear wx conditions.

Don k4kyv

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/