[RFI] FW: Interference on TV using 2 meters

Charles AF4O af4o at arrl.net
Sat Oct 28 09:38:58 EDT 2006

This reminds me of a situation that happened to me many years ago,
probably about the late 1980's.

A neighbor about 2 blocks away complained to the catv company that he
was getting interference on channel 18 (one of the superstations, WGN I
think).

Anyway, it ended up that myself, the homeowner, the catv technician, and
the city manager (not sure how he got involved, city mayor is only part
time) were there.

Of course the city manager and tech (bear in mind the catv company was
city owned) implied it was all my fault.

The homeowner was actually blaming the catv company (smart fellow). The
catv tv tech saying their system was tight and routinely checked, blah,
blah.

Well, I stated boldly that I can prove that its catv leakage and not my
fault (looks of disbelief on the manager and tech).

I called the local power company which is about 1/2 mile away and asked
them to identify their transmitter (153.680). With ht in hand on 153.680
and homeowners tv on channel 19, they identified. Sure enough it wiped
out channel 19.

The looks on their faces was priceless. The tech fixed the poor
connections and replaced the drop. Problem solved.

Thank goodness most around here nowadays have 18" dish's and channel 18
on the catv is now CSPAN hihi.

One exception is a neighbor several houses down trying to use an over
the air gull wing preamplified camper antenna on their house to pick up
fringe area (60 miles away) channels and chewing me (first phone call
was a threat...tell him to get off that cb or something will be
done....) about 6 meter rfi, geez.

I can watch any of 5 direc tv supplied tv's in my house rfi free.

73
Chuck
AF4O