[RFI] Honda Generator RFI?

Fred Stevens K2FRD k2frd at mac.com
Sat Sep 16 22:19:16 EDT 2006

At 6:00 PM -0400 16/9/06, Alan NV8A wrote:

>We (Holland [MI] ARC) have used Honda EU1000i generators for at least the last three Field Days and have not encountered RFI problems.

Could you expand on this a little with a description of how the Hondas were used, e.g., distance from the radios and antennas, any line or common mode filters installed, running through batteries, battery chargers, or directly into power supplies (and type pwr supplies), modifications, type power cords, etc?

I've already demonstrated conclusively to myself that my Honda EU 1000i is causing RFI on the line rather than through radiowaves (common mode) by moving the inverter-generator far away from my antennas and radios although usually, by necessity I need to run my Honda very close to my radios under normal conditions (security: needs to be padlocked to my travel trailer's tongue; doing same to a tree is not feasible in most of AZ). There is absolutely no question that the Honda is the source of the RFI: turned off and operating on batteries only, no RFI; turned on, RFI is at S6 to S9 levels, even through a switching power supply. It's worse on 20m than on 30m which is better than 17m which is better than 15m. 40m and 80m are bad, but not as bad as 20m. No effect on 2m FM. I haven't checked 12m, 10m, nor 6m. FWIW, when the Honda is running, I don't even bother turning on my AM broadcast radio; it is completely drowned out.

MFJ came out with its MFJ-1164 line filter in a very timely manner for me except when I promptly ordered it, MFJ promptly backordered it for 3 1/2 months. I was at the point of ordering a bunch of toroids and beads to do line filtering the hard way.  If it doesn't work, I'll go with Jim's recommendations on the #31; I was thinking along the lines of #43.

--
73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS
http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html