[RFI] Honda Generator RFI?

NE1B ne1b at adelphia.net
Sat Sep 16 23:40:53 EDT 2006

I purchased the Honda EU-1000i generator for a DXpedition to the Bahamas.
We tried to operate on 160m. with it, but it put out too much trash on 160m.
Sounded like strong ignition noise clicking, but no variation in speed.  The
generator's inverter noise was made worse using an MFJ switcher power
supply.  I continued to run the Honda for lights and computer, but ran the
radio off a battery, and the noise was minimal.  So it was definitely
"conducted".  The noise was less on 80m. and even minimal on 40m. when
connected to the MFJ switcher supply again.  NO interference on 20 thru 10
meters.  So, if the Honda was used on FD for 40-20-15 and 10m, the problem
probably was not heard!

Bill
NE1B