[RFI] Microwave RFI - radiated (?)

Jim P jvpoll at dallas.net
Thu May 8 14:28:04 EDT 2008

Dale,

My old analog-timer "MINUTEMASTER" by Litton (yes,
Litton; the manufacturer of magnetrons, etc) produces a lot
of RFI that affects 80 Meters for instance, and it is a straight
transformer design (no high frequency switching transistors
in the DC - DC power source; there is a schematic inside
the chassis as a matter of fact!)

It is a transformer design, and the 'noise' produced is kind
of a rythmic on-and-off pulsing at 1/2 Hz  or so ... never
entered my mind as to why (internal tube arcing or
whatever) but next 'service' opportunity (e.g. when the
analog timer contacts stick again requiring a sharp rap
from a wrench to the body of the timer) I will do some
'testing'. As a side note, I don't notice any of the usual
signs that arcing is taken place (smells; no ozone, no odors
of any kind really.)

History tidbit; Litton beginnings w/Charles Litton and WWII:

http://www.littoncorp.com/litton-industries-military.asp

Thanks for the info, BTW; I always took the noise to the
be the norm, based on this 'case sample of one' (always
a dangerous think to do: base wide-ranging assumptions on
case sample of unit!)

73,  JimP  // WB5WPA //