[RFI] RF - Noise

w4lde w4lde at numail.org
Wed Nov 19 11:46:31 EST 2008

Michael,

Thank you for the help, I have confirmed that it's RFI noise #1, #3 and
at times it sounds like #4, the two noises.
This is going to great for discussions with the power company.  I was
amazed that they really wanted to help cure the problem
as compared to other Op's experience's as posted to the reflector.

So far the noise has abated except for occasional bursts.  I could live
with that but the steady state is a real pain in the ---.

I am keeping a log each day with time, WX condx and frequency's (Mhz),
signal levels and noise conditions.

After two days the noise has returned on 40M and its intermittent while
nothing is being heard on 20M like it did before which indicates to me
that the source is a little further away than I first thought.  Going to
take the sniffer out after lunch and see where I hear it on 139Mhz and
then 339Mhz AM.  The power Company uses 331Mhz and I don't think that
they can hear it unless there right on top of it.

I believe I have two different sources since using a phase noise
canceling MFJ unit the phase relation is different for each type of noise.

Will keep the list posted on what I am finding and the response by the
Power company.

Thanks for the input.

73 - Ron W4LDE