[RFI] Powerful RFI - Solved

Gary Smith Gary at doctorgary.net
Mon Oct 13 23:15:06 EDT 2008

Many thanks to the on & off list replies to help me on this. I kept
trying to hear this problem on the AM broadcast radio but when it was
on 40M it was not showing up at all on the AM radio.

I went on a snipe hunt & walked the neighborhood looking for anything
that was an issue. The only thing I noticed was some kind of flicker
on the street lights (only one street for a long way & I'm at the
dead end of it). So I looked for it but all the lights were lit. I
walked 1/4 mile & saw no unlit lights so I turned around and while
walking back, saw a flicker again.

I couldn't tell for sure but the flicker seemed to be coming from the
last light which is close to my house. I went in, turned the tape
recorder on & left the radio on to 7.000 and went upstairs to see the
light & listen to tha AM radio. Sonofagun, the light was out and the
AM radio showed nothing though the light was 70 feet away. The light
lit and nothing on the AM radio so I marked the time,immediately went
downstairs & listened to what was recorded & yup, that was it.

I went out and waited for it to happen again (and recorded the 40M on
the Ten-Tec again to co-ordinate events once again. The light went
out and again I timed the sequence in the dark (one elephant, two
elephant & so on) and about 38 seconds later the light switched
itself on the light be it High pressure Sodium or Metal Halide, the
prolonged firing sequence was the long sound and the 2-3 seconds at
the end of that is when it sparked into life.

I went back to the recording, checked it and yes, that was it.
Problem solved. The thing is how the AM radio did not pick up a
single thing but it was well over +20 when it was heard in the Ten-
Tec on 40M.

I am assuming that the frequency is that faulty ballast must be
closer to 7Mhz than 1.6Mhz but perhaps if my radio was portable it
would have made the difference if I were under the light when it went
out. I suppose I could have moved my car under it & turned on AM but
for it to be so powerful in the shack and not to show in the house AM
radio was indeed a surprise,

Calling the power company tomorrow.

Again, thanks for those that replied!

Gary