[RFI] Kenwood TM-D700

Michael Coslo mjc5 at psu.edu
Wed Oct 29 12:35:57 EDT 2008

On Oct 29, 2008, at 11:00 AM, David Jordan wrote:

>            Hi folks,
>

> This one is a bit odd.  My buddy has a Ford F-150 and installed in
> the truck
> is his TM-D700 dual band VHD/UHF radio. We chat during our drive
> into work
> in the mornings.
>
> Almost without fail when he is transmitting at least once during the
> 30 min.
> drive I will hear what sounds like a siren on his audio Whrrrrrrrrrrr
> starting at a high pitch and slowly going down in audio tone freq.
> He has
> grounded the radio, etc., yet the weird noise continues to occur.
> Last week
> I installed a TM-D700 in my Ford Sport Trac and guess what - now he
> says I
> have the same odd occurrence of the erratic whine syndrome.

No point looking much further for the problem. The TM-D700 has this
issue. Typically it is when the radio is cold, and heating up. I don't
think there is much that can be done about it either.

Mine does it, another couple local Hams have them, and theirs does it
too. One local Ham's D-700 doesn't, guess he's lucky.

Fortunately, it doesn't happen often. Usually once per session.

-73 de Mike N3LI -