[RFI] Kenwood TM-D700

jvpoll at dallas.net jvpoll at dallas.net
Wed Oct 29 22:45:51 EDT 2008

I would like to get a count of how many active 'loops' (feedback or closed
loops, also phase-locked loops) there may exist in a transceiver of modern
design such as the TM-D700.

Figure two or three different regulated 'sources' (voltage regulators) in use
for the RF (synthesizer/phase-locked loop) and audio portions of the radio, and
perhaps one more for the digital logic/microprocessor. Today LDO (Low dropout
regulators) come in SOT-23 packages and can be placed anywhere a clean source is
needed.

Then we have the Transmit RF chain, any stage of which may be 'blocking'
oscillating at a low, audible-range frequency and 'helped' along as components
warm during transmit cycles.

Any one of these could be the source, and I have seen anyone of these 'stages'
take off and oscillate; just recently we had some LDO regulators 'sing' until
proper measures were undertaken to bring the 'phase-gain margin' back to a
suitable point where gain was less than 1 at 180 deree phase shift (effectively)
from output to input.

As several people have made the same observation, it looks to my trained eye to
be endemic to this design, to this model. It may be that 'parts' seen in
production yiekd this phenomonon and the initial prototypes and early product
runs didn't exhibit this problem buth with a change in both active and passive
parts (e.g. ESR in caps) this problem has surfaced.

Not *everything* is due to ingress of a foreign signal or energy into a radio .
..

Jim P  // WB5WPA //