[RFI] Aims 5000 Watt MSW Power Inverter

Craig Warnol kb5uej at amsat.org
Mon Sep 15 14:04:41 EDT 2008

Doc,

I understand your line of thinking, but let me throw this out.  I
thought about the same thing until I looked at the numbers. I bought a
Coleman Powermate 6250 for ~$400. Just before Hurricane Ivan hit us in
2k4. This generator puts out 5KW surges to 6250, and runs 11 hours on ~
5 gallons of gas. How much gas would it take to run a vehicle at 2000
rpm for that time? Most alternators in vehicles need a minimum 1500 rpm
to generate output. See attached image (This is for a 200A Powermaster
CS144 GM // alternator.) To get 200A out of it, you would have to keep
your vehicle running ~3500 RPM. You would need two of these in addition
to your normal alternator to be able to be able to supply the 416A+
required to put full load on that inverter.

73,
Craig (KB5UEJ)