[RFI] Ham Conflict from Building Cellular Repeater?

Christopher E. Brown cbrown at woods.net
Sat Dec 19 00:24:16 PST 2009

Talk to the wireless engineers at your cell company.

1) Wilson is not known as a top shelf company...

2) That device is 800Mhz only...

CDMA and GSM do use 800Mhz in some cases (re-used TDMA freqs), but a great
deal of it is 1700 or 1900 Mhz...

Example, my employer runs a CDMA network.  Most EVDO is now 800Mhz, but
almost all voice/RTT is 1900...

Most large GSM or CDMA networks will be making extensive use of 1700/1900.

From what I hear from the wireless guys (I am a data network guy), some of
the Wilson devices are ok, to be specific, the _plug into the phone_
types.

I have not heard good things about the area amps/repeaters.

I do know we had a number of customers calling for help with various
wilson devices, many were very upset on finding that their "Works on all
generations of CDMA, TDMA, GSM and high-speed data technologies." devices
were 800Mhz only.

In order to support multiple carriers, GSM and CDMA you would need a
quality _tri-band_ (800/1700/1900) rooftop antenna, and low loss (at 2
Ghz) coax down to a tri-band repeater device.

So far as I know, our wireless guys found several dual or tri band amps of
the _plug into the phone_ type, but I never heard about a good repeater
type.  Since I am one of 2 people that debug data issues related to CDMA,
I assume I would have heard if they found one.  Once of our more common
support requests is people wanting to run multiple phones/data cards at a
mobile work camp or on a fishing vessel and having performance issues.