[RFI] 80/160M RFI in neighbor's oven circuitry !

w7map w7map at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 8 10:34:55 EST 2009

This may be old hat to everyone here but I just would like to caution
those that may not be aware, hanging a capacitor across a line like an
AC source has some special engineering requirements. Usually X-1 or X-2
or even X-3 rated capacitors are used in such installations due to the
huge voltage and current surges typical on these lines. There are some
serious fire hazard implications if one uses the wrong style of cap.
When I did my noise audit and choose to install some caps around my home
I was advised to use .1 micro farad X-2 grade which will take 275 VAC
and each
section of the capacitor is constructed with internal fuses. X-1 is
rated at a higher voltage and conversely X-3 is the lower of the three
mentioned. There are X rated and Y rated and you can google for the
differences but I think it prudent to  at least mention it.

Best, Chas