[RFI] 80/160M RFI in neighbor's oven circuitry (PART 2)

dgsvetan at rockwellcollins.com dgsvetan at rockwellcollins.com
Mon Feb 9 14:32:48 EST 2009

Bill,

One aspect I have not seen discussed is that of thresholding the problem.
By that I mean:  at what power level does the oven timer go off when you
use your new full size vertical?  You know that 1 kW stomps it, but what
about 100 watts or 10 watts?  Since you can not increase the distance
between source (your antenna) and victim (the oven), the only avialable
action is power thresholding.  Since the power levels I mentioned are in
10 dB increments, running a test with your neighbor's cooperation can tell
you a lot.

If 100 watts is OK but 1000 watts is not, you have a  problem of only 10
dB.  That should not take a lot of effort to obtain, but the issue is that
the only real place to cure the problem is with the oven.  The
manufacturer should help, but good luck on that!  OTOH, if the timer goes
off with as little as 10 watts into that antenna, you might want to
consider QRP operations.  Putting in enougb filtering and bypassing to the
oven to get 20 to 30 dB of signal reduction is not trivial, especially
when it is not your oven.

Good luck.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

Bill and Cindy <wb0o at yahoo.com>
Sent by: rfi-bounces at contesting.com
02/08/2009 09:56 AM
Please respond to
wb0o at yahoo.com

rfi at contesting.com
cc

Subject
[RFI] 80/160M RFI in neighbor's oven circuitry (PART 2)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Adding a good ground system to the neighbor's breaker panel sounds easy
enough.

The microwave/convection oven in question is the usual combination unit
about
half the size of a refrigerator. I pulled mine out of the wall and as
suspected the
unit's power cable is entirely in flexible conduit, it is hardwired into
the house
electric system. How can I apply snap-on material 31 cores to this? I
doubt
code will allow the wires to be exposed, will the cores be effective if
snapped
around the flexible conduit?

73 Bill KO7AA in Tucson