[RFI] 22 inch lcd monitor power supply noise

Tim Groat tcgroat at mesanetworks.net
Tue Feb 24 22:13:53 EST 2009

The symptoms you describe suggest capacitive coupling from the internal
high-frequency parts to nearby metal and wiring (that's not the only
possibility, but it seems likely). There are many construction tricks
the power supply manufacturers use to pass FCC specs without a shielded
case. Even a few pF of extra capacitance will couple considerable RF
current when a switching power supply transistor swings about 500V in
100nSec.

If it is a small stray capacitance that's coupling the noise, the source
impedance will be high and it takes a high impedance choke to make a
difference. A multi-turn choke wound on a mix 31 toroid would be a good
place to start. Since you have ferrite on order, go and ahead and try
what you already paid for. If it works, don't worry about getting the
"optimum" core.

73,
--Tim (KR0U)