[RFI] ATT U-Verse RFI issues???

Kelly Johnson n6kj.kelly at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 19:51:53 PDT 2009

Yes, multiple times.  The ARRL sent PG&E a letter last year.  It lit a
fire under their butts long enough to get them to come out 1 week
later, tighten a few bolts, and leave without making sure it fixed the
problem (which it didn't).  I've also contacted the California Public
Utilities Commission which immediately got a PG&E rep on the line who
promised to do something.  Each time things are escalated, they
finally jump into action but they never do what is really required:
1) Work on the 12KV section of the line (after powering off the
neighborhood, which they hate to do)
2) Contact me and ask me to be there when they do the work so I can
confirm that it is fixed

The problem is on one of 2 poles about 25 feet apart.  They rebuilt
half of one pole, but that didn't fix it.  Siince then all they have
done is go out and tighten a few bolts here and there.  They have been
unwilling to tough the 12KV lines.  I know the 12KV lines are usually
not the problem, but my DF equipment suggests the problem is near the
top of the pole (where the 12KV lines are) and that's the only part of
the pole they seem to be too afraid to touch.

I contacted the local PG&E RFI rep again last week.  If something
doesn't happen soon I'll call the CPUC again or contact ARRL.